Monday, January 31, 2011

Before

When you launch into a new project, you should always take a "before" picture, right?   Here are the 12 boxes taking up a lot of space in my diningroom. My theory is: if they're in the way, I have to do something with them, right?  No more procrastinating.  And I have to admit, I have been procrastinating. Back in 2005 (or was it 2006?), when I packed up the boxes, I had them shipped to my mother's house where they'd be closer to their end-destination (Esther Clark Wright Archives, Acadia University). They stayed at my mother's until just a couple weeks ago, when I finally brought the last of the boxes to my apartment. 
Now that the boxes are all together again, I can finally get started on the archival processing, which involves appraising what should be kept vs. what shouldn't, arranging the records (or preserving the records they way they were kept by the creator, DEL), dismantling the albums and rehousing the documents in acid-free folders, and describing the records.

First step: taking the volumes out of the boxes and putting them in order ... but that's for another post!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea,

    I have some family connections to Bridgetown, and I'm quite interested in this project. I would be delighted to hear from you if you are so inclined... I don't think you could bore be... ;-)

    David

    ReplyDelete